Saturday, February 5, 2011

Charleston Charm


I was often asked if I liked Savannah or Charleston better after I got home from our southern get away, and it was always a hard question to answer because I adore them both. But I think I would now have to go with Charleston, it is just too charming and it stole my heart. I know there are a lot of pictures in the post and believe me this isn't even half of what I took, everywhere you looked was an elegant photograph waiting to happen. We had a ball strolling up and down the little winding streets full of single houses (aka shotgun houses as I learned from my mom) I just love all of the colors and how happy everything looks!





















Bethy and I of course were drawn like magnets to any animal that we saw. This little pup was my favorite, his name was Buster Brown, he was soooo cute!!! I wanted to steal him, mohawk and all.




The pineapple is a symbol of southern hospitality, which started with the Carib, who were the first ones to associated the pineapple with hospitality, the Spaniards soon learned they were welcome if a pineapple was placed by the entrance to a village. This symbolism spread to Europe, then to Colonial North America, where it became a custom to carve the shape of a pineapple into the columns at the entrance of a plantation. So it was fun walking down the streets and seeing all the ways people had incorperated pineapples or pineapple motifs into their architecture and decorating as with these fence posts. After learning the history behind this fun symbol and seeing it all over Charleston I was determined to take a southern pineapple home with me! I found the perfect one at a musuem store right across from our hotel, its white ceramic and just what I wanted!



























The men of the group doing what they do best, Reece looking stuff on his iphone and dad being so sweet and carrying my purse for me (I have this back issue and my purse irritates it after long periods of walking) holding his trusty map and waiting patiently at our destination since he always gets there way before us because we take such a long time because of all the pictures we are constantly taking.



















These dogs were amazing. They were ginormous and were in an antique store, I was amazed that the owner wasn't scared they would ruin the fragile things all over the store. They were very sweet though. He also randomly had parrots in there as well, I love antique stores, they all have such different personalities and character.







On our last night on our own in Charleston we ate at 82 Queen, which is absolute bliss. We dined on their garden patio and we were privileged enough to get the charming gazebo for our party, it made the whole meal very magical. For my main course I got the shrimp and grits, I figured I better get it while I can and it is such a southern dish. I can still taste how creamy the grits were, they were to die for, and the shrimp was in this BBQ type sauce that made it lip smackin' good, seriously to this day I can imagine perfectly the taste and texture of it, it was that memorable.










No comments:

Post a Comment